Causes of California Wildfires

There is much more to the cause of California wildfires than just hot and dry conditions. Heat, drought and high winds are major contributors, but the actual cause usually relates to some sort of ignition while those conditions persist.

The percentages vary slightly by region, but in general people are responsible for about 95% of the wildfires that occur in California, with nature causing the other 5%. People were responsible for 98 to 100% of fires in the counties of Marin and Alameda, while the ratio for Contra Costa and Santa Clara are around 93%.

Technically, the California fire season begins in August, but many fires start developing before then because of human causes, especially during high wind conditions. Lightning-sparked fires, that usually occur only during the summer months, tend to last about 45 days. By contrast, wildfires that were caused by humans burn for as long as 85 days.

There are many different sources of the spark ignitions that cause these fires. These include arson, gasoline-powered mowers running over dried grass, fireworks, camp fires, debris burns, compromised power lines, and vehicle sparks. Since these ignitions are triggered by humans, these fires naturally tend to start closer to populated areas.

In some areas, the fire season has expanded by about three months, and wildfires are more destructive than ever. That’s because of increased warmth and dryness of vegetation. Since it takes less effort to ignite vegetation, California wildfires spread faster. Officials continually set new regulations and conduct better education processes to try to cut down on the causes of wildfires.

If you seek legal help related to a wildfire that has destroyed your home or property, or caused injury or loss of life, contact Nareg Kitsinian and the lawyers at the Kitsinian Law Firm. We are highly experienced in dealing with these types of legal cases.